This post originally appeared on Young Living's blog.
Essential oils are precious to the very end, but when the final drop makes its way out of the dropper, then what? If you’re an essential oil lover, chances are you’ve wondered what to do with the little amber bottles you have lying around. We’ve got 21 options to keep those bottles functional to the last drop of oil and beyond!
YL tip: Some of these ideas require a clean essential oil bottle. To clean your bottle, peel off the label as much as you can, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and place all the pieces in a bowl of warm water with half a capful of Thieves® Household Cleaner. Soak everything for 10 minutes, then use 1 drop of Lemon essential oil on a cotton ball to get rid of any sticky remains of the label.
2. Infuse Epsom salt with the last few drops of oil in the bottle. Remove the lid and oil dropper from a mostly empty EO bottle. Put the bottle, dropper, and 1 cup of Epsom salt in a sealed container for at least 48 hours. Open it up and voilà: bath salts infused with a soothing aroma! Even better, you can add multiple bottles to a container of Epsom salt to get different infusions with stronger scents.
3. Make a centerpiece with one or two flowers in the bottles, turning them into little bud vases.
4. Jazz up your twinkly lights! Thoroughly clean your empty bottles, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and gently press the bottle over each bulb on a string of lights. These are a great addition to any holiday party.
5. Fill a bottle with your carrier oil of choice to have on the go.
7. Use the bottles to hold your toiletries for travel. Things like hair oil, face serum, and baby powder fit easily in a little EO bottle; plus, they’ll free up that much-needed space in your carry-on.
8. Try your hand at a DIY custom blend with the last few drops of your favorite oils. You’ll love creating a unique aroma to use in your diffuser, and you can store your creation in an empty oil bottle.
9. Infuse a cotton ball with remaining oil and use it as a multipurpose deodorizer. Stuff a cotton ball in the bottle, put the lid back on, and leave it for three days. Take the cotton ball out—use tweezers if necessary—and place it anywhere that could benefit from a refreshing scent: inside stinky shoes, at the bottom of a trash can, in a gym bag, and any other place that needs an aromatic makeover.
10. Share your most-used oil with a friend by putting some of it in a clean, empty bottle.
11. Put together an essential oil travel kit by putting smaller amounts of the oils you use most—plus some of our recommendations—in empty 5-ml bottles. Put the collection in a cosmetic bag so it’s ready to go when you are.
12. Take your empty bottles to a local glass recycler.
13. Refresh your drawers or closets by removing the lid of a nearly empty bottle and letting the aroma permeate the space. Make sure to position the bottle where it won’t tip—you wouldn’t want to spill anything on your favorite sweater!
15. Use the last of the oil to make a mattress refresher. Instead of cleaning out the bottle, fill it ¾ full with baking soda. Allow it to sit overnight for the baking soda to absorb the oil fully. Sprinkle the mixture over your mattress and let it sit for an hour; then vacuum up the baking soda and breathe in the freshness!
16. Make smelling salts for when you want a fresh fragrance around. Fill a clean, empty bottle with Epsom salt, add 4 drops of a refreshing scent—we love Spearmint—and shake well. Open the cap and inhale whenever you need a whiff of something fresh.
17. Dilute your go-to oils for use with kids. See our handy guide for diluting oils for use with children and babies.
18. Divide oils into two bottles. Keep the regular top on one bottle and add a roller top to the other, so you can easily use your favorite oil in multiple ways.
19. Make your own flavored toothpicks with the remainder of your Vitality™ oils. Cinnamon Bark Vitality, Peppermint Vitality, and even Citrus Fresh™ Vitality make yummy toothpicks. Just place plain toothpicks in the last few drops of oil at the bottom of the bottle and let them sit for a day or two. Ta-da: tasty post-meal toothpicks!
20. Freshen your breath with a DIY breath spray. Using the last 6 drops of your Vitality oils, fill the bottle to the top with distilled water and add a spray top.
21. Flavor your own sea salt with the last little bit of Vitality oil in the bottle. Wait until you can’t get any more drops out of the bottle, but it still has a strong aroma. Fill the bottle with plain sea salt, seal, and wait at least two days before using.